CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

THE PAROLE DECISION

Well, the answer finally came. (Wasn't sure it ever would!)  There’s good news and there’s bad news.  The good news is that I am really doing well, and I will soon have these crossword puzzles perfected.  The bad news is that I’m going to be doing them for 4 or 5 more months here.  I received and was approved for parole yesterday.  

My specific answer was an FI-3R, which was the one single answer I didn’t think I would get.  FI-3R stands for Further Investigation - 3 Months Rehabilitation.  What this means is that I will have to complete 180 hours of a class here before I am released.  The class is projected to take 3 months or 12 weeks.  It is probable that I will take the class here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m transferred to a different unit to complete the course.  The parole board mandates that very many inmates complete this class, so it’s definitely not something specific to my case.  The class is titled “Life Skills” and, from my understanding, it helps inmates adjust to a more complete law abiding type of lifestyle.

I am in no way, shape, form, or fashion delighted about staying here for several more months.  I was genuinely angry for 3 or 4 hours yesterday when I found out this information with the parole answer.  Although I’m still not 100% adjusted to the idea, it is setting much better with me today.

On much brighter note, this unit just started selling macaroni and cheese in the commissary.  It’s pretty much the generic version of the Kraft variety in the blue box.  I purchased 2 boxes yesterday and I’m pretty much craving it incessantly.  My dinner tonight will consist of a PB&J sandwich and the mac and cheese.  It will be one of the few highlights of my stay here.

6 comments:

  1. Wahoo! I am super excited for you even though it is 4 months away!!!! Miss you, Mattie!!

    Love, Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you know now that the end of this is near for you. Can't wait to actually have a proper conversation with you.Also I have mailed a letter to you and I hope you get it soon. Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you finally got your answer even if it is still a few months away. Will you continue the blog upon release? I am sure we would all like to hear about your transition back into the "free" world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm extremely happy to hear and very excited for you. I can't help but wonder WTH goes into their decisions because I really can't believe it took them this long and now to top it off they seem to think you need some life skills class for another 3 months. Hopefully you have gotten to keep up with football season...I'm sure you are taking great pleasure in the Horns 2 losses in a row, LOL! I honestly expected a loss to OU this year, but I thought Texas would motor boat UCLA. I am genuinely concerned about ATM on Thanksgiving this year. Maybe we can plan a Bay fishing trip in the Spring sometime after you get back. I'll keep reading. Stay strong man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing as how we are now only a few months away from our probable battle I put these words of advice in the form of a poem / haiku. ========= Roses are red - Whales live in the sea - You're gonna have to get alot meaner - to whoop up on me !!! ========= ( This poem has 3 patents and 2 copy rights that entitle me to 75% of the earnings if anyone decides to use it without my permission. )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just so happy there is a decision w/ finality to it! I really miss talking to you and just hope you can keep your chin held high another few months. Much love, dude!
    Garvin

    ReplyDelete