CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

UNEXPECTEDLY TRANSFERRED AND NOW IN TEMPORARY HOUSING

LOL!  Wow, what a difference a few days make!  This is the first decent chance to write that I’ve had since I found out I was immediately being transferred last Wednesday.

On Wednesday night, I caught chain and was transferred back to the intake unit.  I spent Thursday night there and then was transferred to a new unit at about noon on Friday.  I arrived here to the new place around 6 pm yesterday with 40 or so other guys.  It took about 3 hours to process us all in, so we made it to our dorms around 9:00 pm last night.  Right now, I’m in temporary housing until Monday.  I’m in a room with 3 other guys.  About 15 other guys that made the transfer with me are in the same temp housing.  Unfortunately, we are in the segregated lock-down portion of the facility, and our “movement” is impaired until we get moved on Monday.  This is going to make getting ‘settled in’ take a couple of days longer.  I don’t know the reason for the temporary housing.

At this point, I’d say that you probably need to take 95% of what I have described in the past about my old unit and just throw that info out of the window.  This place is a totally different world.  There will be absolutely no way for me to describe this place in a way for you to comprehend it, but I will try to give you some highlights.  
First, it is a private facility run by a company called CCA.  I’m not sure what that stands for.  This facility appears to be an old Army base lined with barracks that has been converted.  Housing is by separate 3 story dorms (barracks) with 4 to 8 guys in each individual room.  The doors to the rooms are regular wooden bedroom doors.  There is a window A/C unit in each room.  There are TV rooms and a washer and dryer on each floor.  All of the beds are normal level on the floor.  There are no bunk beds.  The rooms all vary in size and configuration.  The unit is divided into North and South halves.  I hear that travel between the halves is not a problem, but I don’t know for sure, yet.  
The rec. yards are extensive compared to my old unit.  The universal weights probably outnumber most gyms in quantity (not quality).  There are basketball, volleyball, and handball courts, and there is a softball field, too.  The security here is extremely light and lax.  I heard that the library is open and available everyday without an appointment.  I heard the jobs here are very limited, so that concerns me, somewhat.  The actual buildings here are quite old and don’t look as clean as my previous unit, but I’m sure everything is about on the same sanitation level.

Apparently, the days here consist of not much more than meals, recreation, and count times.  They do also have school classes here, but I’m having a difficult time imagining the selection of courses being extensive.

One thing for certain, my entire daily routine will be scrapped and I’m going to have to start all over from the beginning. I have already been assigned to an orientation first thing next week. I’m thinking that after the orientation, I will be moved to my permanent housing.  I’ll get in some sort of a workout during the afternoon.  Then I guess my brand new routine will begin.  Hopefully, I’ll get a decent job, but I’m not counting on it.   I’m thinking that I’ll try to get a good workout in each morning and each afternoon and possibly spend the middle of the day in the library reading and writing.  It already sounds extremely boring, but I’ll get used to it.

When I weighed myself yesterday during intake, I weighed 201 lbs.  As you can imagine, I am very excited about that!  With the opportunity here to exercise and use the gym equipment over the next month and a half, I ought to really be able to hit yet another level with my conditioning.

I went to lunch here and just got back. The way the dining hall is configured and operated is completely different than the other places I’ve been.  I don’t think that’s necessarily a good or bad thing.  The food was on par with all the other places I’ve traveled.  I hear that all of the meats here are turkey based products.  If nothing else, maybe it will be nice to experience a new menu.

This place does not support emails.  Unfortunately, if you want to send mail, it will need to be via the US Postal Service.  Any mail that was sent to me at the old unit that I did not receive before I was transferred will be returned to sender.  For what feels like the 19th time now, I apologize for the mailing conundrum I’ve created.

Fortunately, as I can see now, there are some pros to my move:
1. First and foremost, the atmosphere here is ultra relaxed.  I don’t think it will be nearly as confining once I get moved to my permanent dorm in a couple of days.
2. This place is fully air conditioned.
3.The recreation options here are tenfold what they were before.  Also, the number of opportunities I’ll have to go to rec. on a daily basis should be much more.
4. Living in a smaller dorm room will allow for a lot more privacy.
5. The climate and terrain here are more appealing.  The humidity is not nearly as high and there are actually normal looking trees and hills here.

I’m not in a comfortable place to be able to write very much where I am right now. I don’t think that situation is going to change until I’m able to relocate rooms.  There’s just simply no place for me to get a table, and I’m having to write while sitting on my bed.  I’ve never been able to write well while holding a tablet in my lap, so this letter isn’t as comprehensive as I would like for it to be.

1 comment:

  1. Well now aint this a fine how do ya do? Transferred again. Well, Im really curious to see how this plays out. A/C is good. Privacy is good. Turkey vs pork cant be bad. More rec time, better rec facilities, etc isnt bad. Not so sure about the lax security. Someone might read this and think "what, are you kidding?" Well, security is a good/bad thing for the inmate in my opinion. I mean, if someone is really trying to just do their time and go home, and can handle themselves without needing to be babysat, then thats one thing. But lets face it, some are always looking for a way to buck the system and could potentially make it a mess for others, in my opinion, only. The possible lack of jobs, schooling doesnt sound like it would make for a great time/boredom killer. Just thinking outloud and trying to visualize.. Well, youre a strong individual and again, you will make the best out of any situation thrown at you. Just enjoy the new scenery and the A/C and remember "this is all a process and another step".
    Write soon and take care!

    ReplyDelete