CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Monday, July 19, 2010

PORTRAIT OF A KILLER

Well they served hamburgers and chili dogs for lunch this past weekend and I got a visit from my dad, which was definitely a nice surprise.  I probably wasn’t in as good of spirits as he would have liked to have seen me, but it was only due to the fact that I was so exhausted from the working out last week. It’s very hard to sit at a table with your dad and discuss random topics for 2 entire hours.  Keep in mind that I have no problem spending countless hours or days with my dad.  It’s just hard to pull stuff out of the air when the gorilla in the room is “when is this parole mess going down?  They sell fast food items here that are microwaveable, so he bought me a mini pizza.  OMG, it was so good!  I can’t wait to get out of here and devour a pizza buffet somewhere.

I think I will adjust my exercise routine to something a little more regimented and productive then I've been doing and I’ll probably go to the library tomorrow.  At some point this week I’m going to try to figure out how to get my hands on a radio in here.  I think that listening to an hour or two of music and talk radio would be a solid way to pass time each day.

So I haven't heard any news that differed concerning my parole.  I’m still simply waiting for the board to vote on me.  It has been questioned quite a bit recently about the impact of my transfer on my parole, or if my pending parole dictated I be transferred.  Although it would seem to make logical sense to relate those two events, it is not the case.  My parole and the entire process of me receiving parole is completely independent of my transfer to this unit.

Now, that being said, my sentence length and some other factors that will only be relevant if I do not make parole, do play into the fact that I was sent here.  To explain this would take 18 pages of writing and I might still fall short in my description.  But inmates are often sent here based on how much longer it is until they have their Discretionary Mandatory Review (shortway) release date.  Apparently, my profile and duration fit the ideal candidate to be housed here and I’m also pretty sure, due to the minimal security here, that everyone housed here has a non-aggravated charge.

The book I’m reading now is Portrait of a Killer- Jack the Ripper Case Closed  by Patricia Cornwell. She claims to have solved the mystery and her writing is very convincing, however, I have no basis on which to evaluate her findings.  My knowledge of the case is certainly limited, and she only tells her side of the story in her book.  I’m really missing the internet as I read.  It would be nice to research the other theories proposed and read what the anti-Cornwell crowd has to say.  Before anyone points out the obvious, yes, I am aware that Cornwell is primarily a fictitious crime author.  This book is supposed to be different.  I’ll be finished with it by the time you read this post, so please let me know what you think.

Everything here is just dandy.  I’ll wrap this up for now and will look forward to writing more soon.  I’ll be establishing a set workout schedule and I’m pretty time will start to fly by.

LOL!  One last anecdote. I think I was insulted last might by some young guy in here in the dorm.  He said my tattoo on my ankle was the smallest tattoo he had ever seen.  He said it was obvious I was trying to hide it, and he wanted to know what it meant.  I faintly described the reasoning behind the tattoo, but I don’t think my validation sank in.  I guess small tats just aren’t cool in here.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to talking to you again very soon.

1 comment:

  1. So, exactly why is your tattoo so small? You trying to hide it? Just kidding. Couldnt resist. Glad the new unit is working out for ya. I have to admit, I wasnt sure it was a good unit to be at. Thats why I asked which unit was the best you'd been. Glad you got to visit with your dad. I havent seen my son in over a year now and its hard, but we write a lot and keep very much in touch. We both agree that visits are just too hard, so for now we will just keep doing what we are doing to get by. He is still in the same unit he has been the entire time and definately ready to make a change. I prefer his change to be home, but that remains to be seen. He was given a one year set off at his first parole hearing and that time is coming up shortly. Praying that it works out. He has made sure to fly under the radar, so to speak, and not catch any cases, so good Lord willing, it will work in his favor. We shall see. Im hoping yours works out too. Its time to say "Its been real and its been fun, but it just hasnt been real fun".

    ReplyDelete