CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

DOCTOR VISIT, WORKOUT PLAN, AND FRIEND LEAVING HERE

The support that some of you have given has helped and continues to be more of an inspiration than you can imagine. My writings to the blog are fewer now only because there isn’t just an outpouring of new “prison info” to fill you in on.  It has definitely become a little more routine and boring in here over the last few weeks.  It’s still not too bad or miserable.  Hopefully, the boredom feelings will level off soon. I think my thoughts will change once I receive a parole answer.  I’m still counting on this happening within the next two weeks.  Again, keep your fingers crossed.  I don’t think it’s possible for me to move to the next stage in this process until I have a parole answer.  
Obviously, for physical reasons, I can’t move forward until I have a positive answer, but for psychological reasons it’s nearly impossible to start thinking about and planning the next few years of my life.  I don’t know for certain that things would be different for me if I’m released next year rather than this summer, but at this juncture my stay in here still seems short and temporary.  A stay through next year seems like a tale from a horror film about a time machine. No bueno!  The small salvation is that in most time machine movies, the hero succeeds in returning to his roots and ends up with the hott girl.  Maybe I can trick myself into believing this is all a movie?

7:30 am – I’ve been sitting in the medical area since 6:15 am.  I got a lay in last night that told me to come see the doctor this morning.  I’m not sure what the reason is behind it.  I didn’t put in a request to see one, and this is different than the blood pressure checks that I was doing a couple months back. I guess I’ll find out in the next few hours.  It will probably take forever to wade through the confusion here and actually see the doctor.

At about 7:45 am they called me in, and I thought maybe I was going to get out of here early, but no such luck.  I was only called to go take my weight and blood pressure.  My blood pressure was higher that I wanted it to be, but I suppose it makes sense, due to the fact that I’ve been eating considerably more salt in here than I’m used to.  If I’m denied parole and end up staying through next year, I will adjust my salt intake, but for now I am going to continue to add lots of seasoning salt to many of the meals that are served.  I’ve decided that my enjoyment of food supersedes the health risk imposed by the extra salt.  I’m quite certain this is not a medically sound decision, but it sure does make the food taste better.  On a brighter note, I now weigh 206 lbs which is a 7 lb loss from last time (I think).  I guess my working out and eating well (except for salt) is getting some results.

Coincidentally, today (Friday, May 14) is the day I chose to begin my 6 week super duper workout plan that will hopefully lead me to my release date.  The goal was to lose 15 lbs and to get out of here weighing 200 lbs.  However, now that I know I’m already down to 206 lbs. I will have to adjust my final weight goal. (Keep in mind that I have no access to a scale.  The only time I can get an accurate weight is when I see Medical.) The new goal will be between 190 and 195 lbs.  I’m not sure how realistic 190 is, but I definitely think I can hit at least 195.  All this, of course, is assuming the doctor isn’t about to level me with a death diagnosis.  If that happened, I honestly think I might just laugh out loud and ask for the hidden Punk’d cameras, because there couldn’t possibly be any way to add more insult to my life at this point.  Here’s hoping for nothing negative.  It’s now 8:30 am and I’m still waiting.  I’ll tell you what the doctor says once I know myself.

One of my friends in here is being released today.  In total, he had a 5 year sentence.  I don’t know exactly how much time he served, but he had originally been paroled and was locked up now on a parole violation.  I believe he had been locked up on this last stint of his sentence for a year and a half or so.  Basically, how that works is like this:  He originally got a 5 year sentence. prison before making parole.  This meant he had served a total of 2 ½ years of his sentence behind bars and was supposed to serve the remaining 2 ½ years on parole.  In his case, he lasted successfully a year on parole before a “Blue Warrant” was issued.  A Blue Warrant is what is issued when there is a pending motion to revoke one’s parole.  The warrant goes into a nationwide database to alert law enforcement agencies to arrest you and hold you with no bond.  It pretty much works the same way a normal arrest warrant works, except for the “no bond” part.

Anyway, my friend remained at large for about a year after the Blue Warrant was issued.  This year at large did not count towards his sentence.  Once the Blue Warrant is issued, one’s accruing time immediately ceases to count towards satisfying one’s sentence.  Somehow, my friend was rearrested after a year, and at this point he again began to receive credit towards his overall sentence.  He was ultimately transferred here to Beaumont to finish the remaining 1 ½  years of his sentence behind bars.  So, in total, he was locked up for 4 years and on parole for 1 year to satisfy his sentence.  He should be released and 100% a free man by lunchtime today.  Good for him!  I wish him the best.  His plans were to immediately smoke some cigarettes followed closely by drinking at least 2 cold beers.  He then planned to get high by injecting some type of drugs.

 I have a feeling that, for today, he will end up only smoking some type of drug due to the fact that he will have a hard time locating the proper drugs and materials necessary.  You see, he has quite a long drive ahead of him this afternoon.  However, by tomorrow, he will be in a position to obtain anything he chooses to take, so the choice is his. On my original nickname list this was “The Prez”. Please know that I use the term “friend” in here only here only as a relative explanation.  This is not a person for whom I now have a name and phone number to use in contacting later.  I only know him as “Mike from San Angelo”.  This was only one of Mike’s many trips to jail or prison for some type of drug use or activity stemming from drug use.  Hopefully, it will be his last, but if I were a betting man, I’d wager he’ll be back at some point.  He’s fairly old, so he really needs to go on about having a normal life, but for today, because he is totally free, I guess I can say, “I wanna be like Mike.”   It’s 9:00 am, and I am still waiting, getting bored.

9:10 am – Still bored.  I wish I could chronicle some of the dialogue that goes on in this prison between the inmates and the officers.  Most of it is simply one four letter word after another, back and forth.  It’s completely pointless.  The women officers here, on the whole, have a much more difficult time dealing with the inmates.  The exchange between the female officer here this morning and some of the inmates is absolutely hilarious. I normally think the banter is just too dumb, but this lady is so far removed from reality that the inmates are having a field day.  I feel sorry for the lady, but she really ought to act smarter. For starters, she has been futilely attempting for the last 3 hours to get 50 prisoners to sit in silence!  The scene from “Basic Instinct” where Sharon Stone says, “What are you going to do, arrest me for smoking?” comes to mind.  (Everyone now take your mind out of the gutter. I was referring to what she said, not what she did.  If you are confused, ask a friend.)  Anyway, her insults towards the inmates, and the inmate’s insults back at her have been PG-13 rated for the most part, but they have helped to keep me entertained.  It’s now 9:30 am and it doesn’t look like I am any closer to seeing the doctor now than when I first arrived.  On the bright side, this diverse entertainment I’ve had this morning, and the fact that I haven’t been at work will probably make for a short afternoon.

Does anyone have any plans for this afternoon or this evening? Remember that it is Friday.  Happy Hour with some frozen drinks sounds great and for some reason a shrimp quesadilla sounds pretty darn good, too.  I have gotten to the point in here where I enjoy going to meals, but the variety just seems non-existent.  It doesn’t only seem non-existent, it is non-existent.  I’ve gotten to the point where I’m eating any vegetable that is served, except for the spinach, because it is unedible to me.  I believe I mentioned it before, but I’m even eating green beans now, which is miraculous because until recently they, too, were nasty tasting.

I just had an idea.  Thirty days prior to my release, I’m going to start a daily list of meals I’d like to eat.  I have a feeling the list will not be conducive to weight loss, but that’s fine.  I’ll just make sure that I eat at all the places over the course of a year rather than all in the first month.  Maybe I’ll plan for one every other week or so and also work a few in at random times. That should turn out to occupy right at a year.  Are you hungry yet?

12:30 pm - I ended up seeing the doctor a little earlier than I expected.  It was just after 10 am when I left.  Thankfully, I am not dying.  The doctor simply went over the results of all my blood pressure checks and informed me that he didn’t think any blood pressure medication was currently necessary. I suppose that the long wait was worth finally getting to speak to a real doctor.  Besides, it’s not like I had any other plans to occupy my time. LOL

At lunch today, I saw my friend “Bernie”.  Not sure if I mentioned it before, but he was moved out of our tank down to the other end of the unit.   At lunch time a big fight or fiasco broke out at some location in the unit. The entrance and exit doors to the lunchroom were closed, and there were about 40 of us stuck in there for half an hour.  It was refreshing to have so long to finish my meal and to catch up with “Bernie”.  There was nothing new on the home front, so we just had some normal, casual conversation for the duration.  To differentiate my friend “Bernie” from Mike, I would say that “Bernie” is one of the very few people that I will check up on once I’m out of here.  Right now, my definition of “very few” is two.  It’s now 2:00 pm, and it looks like work will last another hour or so. I’ll write more soon.

8 comments:

  1. Andy's mom and I have also corresponded through email... she said she typed a letter for you to post in the meantime... I would really like to know whats going on with my friend!!! There are still those of us out here that miss him and wish we could see him but cant and this blog is the only way we can know about his day to day life... I know you dont realize this but he is completely isolated from everyone out side letters and this blog... so many people have said they havent checked it in weeks because the editor wasnt posting anything... PLEASE SEND ME SOME LETTERS AND I WILL POST THEM... HE NEEDS HIS FRIENDS RIGHT NOW AND THIS BLOG IS SOOOOO... IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still interested! Hopefully will have an update soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great to see! keep em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah my hand is up but I know the editor has had a hard time at the moment and I just want him to know we all appreciate everything he is doing/done for Andy. Also Andy no one has forgotten you. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still interested, just not commenting a lot.

    Wanted to say to Andy don't focus to much on the holidays that you are away think of all the ones you get to make up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely "in". I have said on several occassions how much I appreciate the editor's efforts, hell there's no way I could have done what he accomplished in the beginning. I just don't want our close friend to think we have forgotten him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely waaayy in! I check back everyday for updates! We haven't forgotten you Andy and you are still in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Shane & Jill. I realize you (the editor) don't really know Andy that well...but if you knew how important any little bit of news was to his friends, you would be willing to make a better effort to post SOMETHING during the past month!!! We've been waiting for an update since MAY 1! If you don't have time, please, please, please email one of us (we are on the email list from Andy's mom)so that we can make arrangements for you to mail the blog posts to us!!!

    ReplyDelete