CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

THE PUNISHMENTS YOU CAN RECEIVE WHILE IN PRISON AND WHAT I AM IN PRISON FOR (UPDATED 4/26)

I wanted to respond to comments asking about what I was charged for, and the charge was theft and I got three years.  I was ordered to pay $94,000 restitution and it has been paid in full.  I was originally charged in May of 2005.

To respond to another comment asking what a lay in is?  It actually has two definitions here.  The first is the slip of paper that is handed out each evening to an inmate that details an activity for them to attend the next day.  For example, when th eguards show up at about 7 pm each evening we, as the inmates, say "The guard is here to pass out lay ins."  The second definition is a synonym for appointment or scheduled event.  For example, I received notice that I need to go to the education department tomorrow at 9 am.  Therefore, I will leave my job at 8:55 in order to get to my 9 am education lay in.

To address another question, if you don't show up for work, the worst thing that could happen would be to receive a "major" case and get moved to a segregated cell.  Then you lose commissary, visitation and recreation privileges.  Or often even get shipped off to a less desirable prison unit.  I think the warden has unlimited discretion when dealing with discipline problems. 

Now would all this really happen?  Almost certainly not.  Attendance is not taken at my particular job.  If I wasn't needed on the day I was missing then no one would probably even be aware.  If they did need me and I wasn't there then they would just page me in my form and I would go in.  I think most of the other jobs around here have more of a direct supervisor than mine has, so my situation is probably somewhat unique.  My co-worker took the day off yesterday and I covered for him which was no big deal.  Personally, I will never take a day off..just in case.

6 comments:

  1. Just wanted let you know I am still reading your blog and look forward to reading it. I think you are doing an excellent job in describing the every day hub-bub of prison life and what certain things are and how they are done. Does your unit have any of the vegetable fields or pig farms where TDC gets some of their food from? The Gatesville units (woman) had 1 pig farm and several vegetable fields of which all the area units benefited from. We especially loved the time when the watermelon and cantaloupes were planted. Keep up the good work on letting us know how things are going for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 years and you will get time credits. You will be out before you know it, especially with the overcrowding.
    Hows the iron goat doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think that going to a job would be one of the things you would look forward to, in order to get out and have a change of scenery and something to do. It would help pass the time and keep you away from any issues that might come up.
    Im getting info together to update my sons parole packet. His first time up, I did a good packet and sent it in, even tho I knew he had no chance of making it. I wanted them to at least get the picture I was presenting about him. He wont be up again for a few mos, but this time Im more anxious because there really is the possibility this time. Even if he does make it, he wont be home right away. Thats ok. Im thinking that just maybe, with lots of prayers and Gods help, we might be celebrating this time next year. (Perfect timing, spring fishing is great here.)
    Keep up the good work, Andy. ~just keep swimming, swimming~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you go??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was gonna ask the same thing. How's the parole coming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to let you know that I am reading your blog and have enjoyed it very much. I keep coming back hoping for more and for some updates, I miss your blogs! Hope you come back soon. Take care and keep your head up.

    ReplyDelete