CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

RESPONSES TO BLOG COMMENTS

Kristen  (2/6/10)  Everything you send is hilarious and great!  The pictures are the best. Thanks so much.
(3/10/10) Panty raid on George bush was so out of character for Weber and me.  What in the world were we thinking?  I really don’t remember you being too mad.  I guess we sort of didn’t care.  LOL.  Weber is probably laughing at both of us right now.  The ironic thing about what we did that night, is that someone might think that it was worse than what some people do to get in prison. Funny how things turn out!
MamaB  (2/28/10) Funny that you mentioned crawfish in this comment.  I have totally been craving some good ones over the past few days! 
(3/2/10) I hope Pee Wee is doing well, but there’s no telling.  I suspect he has a long life of jail in front of him.  I can’t remember if I mentioned it before, but he is only 19 and had already spent a year and a half in a juvenile facility before I met him, I think he probably likes chickens, too.  I chose to go ahead and shave my head.  It was refreshing.  I felt more like a Nazi than a concentration camp victim. Thank goodness my hair grows quickly.  I have already had one hair trim since then, and I’m in need of another one right now. I am very un-bald now. The bald look does seem to make most of the white guys look fatter and most of the black guys look smaller.  I’m not sure why, but it does!  
(3/2/10)  Funny story about the brothers. I bet they really got a kick out of that afternoon!  The bus ride was uneventful.  We pretty much boarded a school bus style vehicle in pairs.  We were each handcuffed to one other person. The seats were plastic bucket seats and the windows had metal on them, but you could see out.   (Keeps people from getting sick.)  The drive took a couple of hours and most people just slept.  It was exactly what was depicted in the movie, The Fugitive
(3/7/10)  Glad to know you’re still hanging in there.  Now that I’m getting settled at my new unit the blog should get a lot better.
(3/9/10)  I’ll definitely get more food next time.  I was pretty unprepared for last commissary. I’m not a big noodle fan, but I will get a supply next time.  Believe it or not I still haven’t even eaten the one bag that I bought.  I think Ramen Noodles make me have a flashback to my freshman year in college, when my roommate ate them all the time in our dorm room. I’ll probably get one thing of vanilla ice cream next week.  Like you, I just can’t comprehend the harassment of the guards that goes on in here.  It’s the same people that the guards must reprimand all the time.  It’s just idiotic!  I’ll expand more on this topic in a later blog. I’ve read that the state releases 120-150 inmates on a daily basis.  I would have to think that it admits more that this number.  It’s staggering to see all the new people come in here.  It really makes you wonder if prison is the best place for a lot of these guys in here with drug problems.  Along with the blog, I write 20 or so of my personal friends.  If I get carpal tunnel while I’m in here, the state can fix me on their dime! (OMG…was that my first institutionalized statement? I’m already looking for handouts? LOL)
Kanandar Magyar Hirlap (3/2/10)  Should I call you Chris?  Thanks for letting me know your perspective and for the insightful question.  The prison environment is definitely more threatening than jail.  If for no other reason than there are simply more people to possibly have an altercation with.  That being said, I still do not feel threatened.  I am completely apart from the Ad-Seg guys.  My job is in the administration building.  The guys in my tank are older and serving fairly short sentences.  For that reason, no one wants to get in much trouble.  There are a few loud mouthed young guys in here that harass the guards, but a fight in here would almost certainly spell a parole denial.  I think that the situation with your pen pal that’s in for life is something that really cannot even be equated to what I’m going through. It’s got to be 99% different. Can you tell me a little about your college project and what your thoughts are on sentencing drug users to prison terms?
Eddie (2/27/10)  I’m trying to reform the Prison System.  Instead of gangs, I’m trying to convince all the thugs to join discussion groups.  I feel that a good group hug will solve most problems!
(2/28/10)  Fruit Loops are still good and Southwest Championship Wrestling is still the best.  Did you know that Hulk Hogan switched to TNA wrestling and no longer works for Mr. McMahon?  He’s the one with the famous quote: “You cut your own deals.”
(3/3/10) I did hear about that guy that crashing into the IRS building via airplane.  Do you think he had dinner plans the next evening?  What an idiot!
(3/9/10)  Look for a package in the mail.  I’ll send you a breakfast from there and you’ll see how unappealing is.  It is sooo not worth a 4:30 am wake up!  Breakfast, lunch and dinner are free.  Commissary is for snacks and essentials.  I also have to buy envelopes, stamps, pens, and paper.  Only $10 or so of the $42 was for food.  I will buy you a water moccasin when I get out.
Marc’s Queen 3/7/10 - Thank you for continuing to keep in touch.  Doesn’t reading this blog make you glad you’re no longer here?  I can only imagine!   I’m not at a trustee camp yet, but if I don’t get FI-1’d on my first parole chance, I’ll try to get moved.  Hopefully, it won’t be an issue, and I’ll be home before that time comes.
M  3/3/10 –You’re hott!  I hope you have been keeping up with me on the Blog.  I’m guessing your life is probably even more confusing than mine right now.  Hang in there!  It will all work out.  Write me and keep smiling.  Go buy yourself a Little Caesar’s Pizza or something.
Leelee 3/9/10 – Thanks, Leelee, for letting me know that you are enjoying the Blog.  Now that I’m at my permanent unit I expect that the reading will get a little more interesting.  If you don’t mind me asking, “What is your reasoning behind having prison pen pals?”  It is certainly very nice, but I’m curious about what you gain from it.  Thanks again.
Ginger 3/9/10 – I’m glad you’re still here with us after all this transferring and switching around. I’m 100% ready for the time to start speeding by.  Wish me luck.
Now I will give you my answers to the 15 questions.  If the moderator can please relist the questions, I’d appreciate it...


Reposted questions from inmates: (Written in February while in county jail )
1.  We are in jail.  How and why do things in our tank constantly come up missing or stolen? 
2.  Why do we have to eat the same food over and over and over?
3.  How do you feel about inmates receiving a furlough to witness the birth of their child?
4.  Why can't we get real food if we have money on our books?
5.  Why don't we receive conjugal visits?
6.  In what room do they keep the keg?
7.  Should homosexual inmates be kept separate from straight inmates?
8.  Should inmates incarcerated for sexual crimes against children be kept in the same areas as normal inmates?
9.  Where are all the real women these days?
10. Is there anything called love?
11. Do you think there should be more daily activities in jail?
12. Should inmates have access to computers?  The internet?
13. Do you think that jail/prison should be used as a "scare tactic" to keep kids out of trouble?  For example, young kids could be forced to spend the night in jail to help thwart any future crimes.
14. Should we lock up "slow" or "mentally challenged" people?  I'm not referring to handicapped people, but the ones that are just obviously and significantly slower than the norm. 
15. The first 14 questions were from others (ok, I can't lie, #6 was mine).  Here is my big thought provoking question, though: How do I approach the subject of my criminal record when I date women in the future?
MY THOUGHTS:
1. Because you live with 30-50 other convicts.  95% of whom are thieving thugs.
2. Dumb question.  Technically, the jail could serve the same food for every single meal.
3. This should not be allowed. Jail is jail.  DVR it if you want to watch it later.
4.  It is logistically impossible to provide any better food than is already provided via commissary.
5. Jail is jail.
6. If they only have one keg than they’re not partying hard enough and I won’t be a part of them.
7. Yes.
8. Yes.
9. Austin, TX – Lake Travis- Emerald Point Marina – Slip K28.
10. Yes, there is. Unfortunately, it always seems to be over the next horizon.
11. Just more outside recreation.
12. Computers are for learning-yes.  Internet- no.
13. Absolutely yes.
14. Unfortunately, yes.  You would cross a line of diminishing returns by trying to help these 
people.  Sad, but true.
15. I’ve tried the “not tell at all” method.  This worked extremely well until she found out.  Then surprise, surprise, it ended rather abruptly.  It was not that big of a deal since we had only dated 2-3 months.  I’ve also tried the “upfront” method, and told after 3 or 4 weeks of dating.  I felt much better about this and was 100% honest, but the relationship ultimately ended when I had to actually go to prison.  Who knows what would have happened if this relationship had started after I was released.  I think my new method, when I get out, will be somewhere in the middle of the previous two, but lean heavily towards being up front about it.
I’m a little worn out from all the writing today.  I think I’ll wrap things up, get some good exercise in here, and try to get a good rest tonight.  The weather was beautiful here today, but I think it will cool off tonight.  I hope you enjoyed your day as much as I did, and I hope the rest of your week goes well.  Thank you again for continuing to read this blog, and I look forward to hearing from everyone soon.  Please leave any comments you’re thinking, and I will enjoy reading and responding to each of them.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your response to my comment. Yes, please do call me Chris. The title that you see is that of my website...which, you may have gathered, is not in English. :) I'm not frightened to admit that I am a liberal when it comes to corrections and the justice system. I feel that one of the most ludicrous aspects of justice and corrections in the US are the terribly long sentences dished out to those who possess or distribute controlled substances. Our system in Canada really is very different. It is rare for anyone convicted of possessing or distributing a controlled substance to receive more than 5 years. Possession usually carries well under 2 years, or--most commonly--suspended sentences. In all cases, parole is offered after a third of the sentence has been served. So even someone who may get the maximum 5 years is out in less than 2 years. Also, possession of marijuana is not normally pursued by police, or by Canadian courts at this point. The most that an officer might do is confiscate marijuana from someone if there is reason to believe that it may be distributed. Walk in the downtown of any Canadian city and you will see just how prominant weed is...among just about all social classes. My only problem with this is that I can't really tolerate the smell of marijuana very well. It makes me feel rather on the ill side, for some reason.

    Despite what the "get tough crime" crowd might say about tougher sentencing, lengthy prison sentences do not deter people from breaking the law. What they do, however, is make it much more difficult for that individual to re-integrate into society, find a job and keep contact with family, if he is released after a very long stay. By the way, I was wondering how long you have before parole eligibility? Will you be out on parole before the end of the year?

    ReplyDelete