CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Friday, February 26, 2010

THERE GOES MY DIET! ALSO, SOME RESPONSES TO COMMENTS.

2/18

Hi everyone.  It's Thursday evening and it was another long day at work which leaves me pretty tired.  I ate better today than all of my previous days here.  From the jail I had sausage, hash browns, and milk for breakfast and tuna fish sandwich and cookies for dinner.  While at work we had Dr. Pepper, sour cream and onion potato chips, a turkey and cheese sandwich with lettuce and mayo, a piece of chocolate cheese cake and two pieces of fried chicken.  Although this did not adhere to my diet, WHO CARES?  It was delicious and welcomed.

Now to Peewee's story.  He is a 20 year old caucasian who is about 5'10 and weighs about 230.  He has little to no high school education.  He has the common sense of a bale of hay.  Definitely not a future Harvard grad.  However, he is very nice and pretty funny.  He is on my outside working crew.  He comes off as lazy, but I think the problem may just be
the fact that he is ignorant to the concept of hard work.  He told me that he spent about a year and a half in a juvenile detention center around the age of 14.  He is now in for being a part of some auto burglaries.  He claims that he broke into no cars and was set up by friends.  I have no clue if he is telling the truth or not.  I have come to learn that an unwritten rule in here in jail is to simply accept everyone's crime stories at face value.  Everyone is innocent after all, right?  Peewee has a court date for his current charges in a couple of weeks.  I'll let you know how that goes (Editor's note - No, he won't).  Over the weekend I'll tell you about a guy that I have been locked up with since day one of this whole episode.  We were in the initial holding cell together.  Now he, I and his uncle are all in the same tank together.  They are quite the pair.

Thank you for leaving comments on the blog.  As I've said before I absolutely love reading them and they have already started to begin a big source of entertainment here.  (Editor's note - I bet they are not happy he got moved.  If I had one of their inmate #s I would send those guys copies of the blog entries).  Now to my responses to the latest comments I have received.

Eddie (2/13)  Why must you taunt me with Double Daves?  I feel like a caged animal behind one of those "Don't Feed the Bears" signs.

Ginger (2/14)  You're definitely right.  Being able to leave the jail during the week is great medicine to prevent me from going stir crazy.  Some of the guys in this jail that are not trustees have gone nearly a month without outside recreation.  Respect of one's personal space is a pretty big deal here in jail and I'm sure an even larger issue in prison.  It's all just simple human nature stuff.  Everyone needs to be able to stretch out as much as possible and no one wants to feel they're getting the short end of the stick.  Thanks so much for taking the time to write, Ginger.  I look forward to hearing from you again and I hope your personal situation turns out well.

Kanadai Magyor Hirlap (2/14)  Thanks for reading.  The answer to your first question is no, I was not allowed to retain any of my personal property.  All clothes and shoes are property of this county jail.  From commissary I have purchased a pair of shower shoes, two t-shirts, two pairs of boxers and a thermal top.  One of my trustee friends has also brought me a pair of extra tennis shoes because he works in the laundry area.  I traded them for some food.  It was tough in here for the first couple of days without a cell phone, but that quickly went away.  The lack of material possessions is pretty miniscule on my list of complaints.  While in jail your mind quickly switches to a "survival mode" mentality and in this mode, material possessions are useless and irrelevant. 

Surprisingly, the lack of privacy in here does not bother me one bit.  The noise is a little much at times, but overall everyone is respectful enough to realize that every other person here is coping to make the best of a bad situation.  Again, I think the human mind is amazing in it's ability to quickly adapt (editor's note - someone should send him "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl).  I think most of the guys in here (including myself) feel that this tank is their temporary home.  It's comfortable in here because we have grown accustomed to it.  I believe I would find it much more difficult to be secluded by myself in a cell.  If you don't mind me asking, what led you to correspond with different prisoners?  What circumstances put your friend in ad-seg?

There are a few more comments I need to get to, but I can barely keep my eyes open.  I promise to address them all tomorrow.  Thanks again for listening and you'll hear from me soon!

2 comments:

  1. Andy, I bet the county is pretty boring without you there sharing your blog letters. Hope all is well with you. I would have liked to have heard more about PeeWee. Sounds like some of the "fellers" that live in my town. "Corn-fed" is what we call em. Theres one that is kinda slow, walks slow, talks slow, thinks slow. One of my favorite lines from him is "I...like...my....chickens"
    I cant wait to hear how things are going for you. Did you get your choice of hairstyles? I kid, I kid. Ive heard it described as looking like a concentration camp with the guys standing around in a big cage, white boxers, and the ugliest bald heads you've ever seen. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your detailed response, Andy. I started exchanging letters with prisoners several years ago, as part of a university student organization dedicated to prison reform. After I finished undergrad, I stopped writing, as my pen pal had been paroled. Last summer, however, I started writing again and found a prisoner in Texas, serving a life sentence. (He has been in since 2001 and will be released in 2041.)

    He ended up in ad seg nearly three years ago and will only become eligible to go back to general population late next year. From what I was told, he had joined a prison gang and was placed into ad seg for his involvement with this group. He felt that having entered prison at age 19, he had no choice but to join a gang, to guarantee his own safety.

    Do you find your current prison environment to be more threatening and potentially violent than jail? Best of luck adjusting! Chris

    ReplyDelete