CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FITNESS TIPS

2/2 10pm

Hey everybody, how's it going?  Today went by pretty well for me.  It feels like the time is getting a little shorter each day.  I think I am sleeping a little longer at night so that is speeding things up a little.  Mail came today and I got some more letters so that kept me entertained for a while.  Thanks for the "Get out of jail free" card, JP.  It made most of the guys in the tank laugh, but some seemed confused about why that would be funny.  I tried to use the card but unfortunately it didn't get me too far.

OK, I need some help with some fitness questions. 

1.  How many ounces are in a typical coffee mug?
2.  About how many calories am I burning in here on a daily basis?  I weight 214 lbs and am exercising for about 45 minutes to an hour every day to a decent sweat.  I probably sleep about eight hours a day.  The rest of the time is pretty idle.
3.  About how many calories do you think
I am taking in each day?  What is the typical inmate caloric intake assuming I am only eating what is served?  I'm very concerned about gaining weight here in county jail.

I still haven't received any correspondence directly from this blog, but I am very anxious to read what everyone has to say (editor - as of today, he should have received at least two packages with comments.  Probably one on Monday - 2/8 and one today - unfortunately there haven't been too many comments).

The sleep cycle here is crazy.  75% of the people are up all night and asleep all day long.  It would be so easy to succumb to that pattern, but I'm not doing it.  Just seems to be bass ackwards.  From talking to people I have learned that the sleep pattern in the actual prison is much more normal.  Although I'm still apprehensive about that entire experience, I am ready to get there and get started.

We ordered commissary again tonight.  I didn't need to get nearly as much this time as last week, but I did get some extra snacks (editor - didn't you mention you only ate what is served above?), more paper, pens and envelopes.

Today was the first day that I started to think about what I would do to live and make money once I get out of here.  I wish that thought could have stayed out of my mind for at least a month or so because I really want to totally reset my brain before I start evaluating and planning things.  I'm not going to put any of those planning thoughts down on paper for now so hopefully those thoughts will leave me alone for awhile.

The last season of "Lost" started tonight.  There was a three hour special and the first hour was devoted to a recap of the entire series.  I watched it and hope that I could become interested in it, but I'm just not sure.  It seems a little too weird, but I'm going to try and grasp the whole thing.  I also watched part of "The Biggest Loser".  I really like that show, but there seem to be too many commercials.

Just met a new guy in here.  His crime is much different than mine, but his circumstances surrounding probation and his current incarceration are very similar to mine.  Anyway, he gave me a printout of three junk emails to read and they were hilarious.  Funny how those junk emails are annoying in the real world yet so entertaining in here.  Basically, what I am trying to say is, send me your junk emails to read.  I will make sure they are enjoyed as originally intended.

Well, that's it for now..

8 comments:

  1. are you in jail or in prison? big difference.

    8 oz in a coffee mug

    caloric burn is almost impossible to know.

    caloric intake is more than likely around 2000-2500 a day without commissary

    what i used to do is trade all my bread for more meat and eat as much fiber as i could (veggies and whatnot) most of the things you get in there are carbs/starches so its hard to avoid but do your best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m not sure about all the calorie stuff, but I know when my hsuband went in he was around 220, when he was moved to prison (21 months later) he was down to 155. Hes not had a huge chance to exercise, till he gets moved to a permanent prison (he is still in classifcation/recieving) his "out" time is really restricted.

    Like the guy mentioned above, my husbnad, traded alot of his bread out but he traded traded for extra paper, and all, since I can't send him alot of money.

    I think my husbnad transition into prison from the jail has been harder on me than him, but just take things one step at a time and you'll be fine. How much longer do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure, but keep up with the blogs man. Really interesting story you have here. This really calls out the word book at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Glad to see you seem more settled and are sleeping better.As for the junk e-mail bit I have thousands and will send lol some are really funny though. Speak soon Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. ******Body weight exercises******-------Push-ups,pushups with feet elavated,pushups with wide and narrow hand positions, pullups,reverse grip pullups,weighted pullups,pullups with wide and narrow hand positions,(if there is no pullup bar you can do bent over rows with what ever heavy object is available) situps,crunches,leg raises,standing knee to elbow,trunk twists,body weight squats,squat jumps,lunges,step ups,one legged squats,wall leans (with your back flat on a wall and your legs parallel,hold that position for a few minutes--hands at your side--),calf raises-----------******Aerobic - Run in place, jump in place,jump rope with no rope,walk around ????========================================= Eddie C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing a great job on this blog and keeping everyone informed. I almost panicked tonight because I couldnt find where I had saved it on my computer. ADD? Senior Moments? all of the above? Is there a way for us to send email jokes, etc to the editor and have him print them out for you? I like to send my son odd stuff like you find on "strange news of the day" type things. Thinks like you mentioned that can be passed around.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked the "get out of jail free card"... I guess you have to know me to find it funny!!! LOL I am just sorry it didnt work
    :(... I am hoping you will be home soon! and i will be sending some funny emails... my boss gets them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the "get out jail free" card was funny. Glad to hear you are doing well and sleeping better. You may want to consider going to school once you get to the prison system if they have it. I have some college credit from classes taken while incarcerated and my husband will be coming out with an associates and not many hours left for his bachelors. Keep up the blog. Love reading it and hearing how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete