CURRENT STATUS

If you have any questions for Andy about the prison system, what it is like, what goes on there, or anything, please leave the question in a blog comment and Andy would be happy to answer it. It keeps him occupied and allow us to learn about the system.

Also, for his friends, he would LOVE to get pictures of anything, so if you have his address, please send them to him, or if you would like to email them to the blog editor, you can do that and he will print out the pics and mail them to him.

He is now attending the class he must take before his release, and he will mention the journal entry memo they discussed that day in class.

Even if you don't know Andy, feel free to comment on his blog entries, which he gets and will respond to.

Friday, February 12, 2010

NOT POSTING BOND

2/3 4pm

Wow! Who would have ever thought that a tortilla with tuna fish, a packet of mustard and 3 crushed cheetos could be so good? I didn't even like tuna fish until a couple of days ago, but that little concoction has been the highlight of my meal history since being here. Sometimes I wonder what to write about, because it's quickly becoming like the movie Groundhog Day in here.

One of the big issues here in this county jail, is that many of the inmates don't really have any idea how long they will be locked up. I'd say that in my tank it's probably a 50/50 make up of people with felonies vs those with misdemeanors. A lot of the guys here have fairly small bond amounts (between $3,000 and $8,000) but are unable or unwilling to come up with 10% of the cash it would take to pay a bailbonding company to get them out of jail. Anyway, the guys in here that do not bond out are stuck waiting for a court date and are in limbo. The consensus is that
it takes between 30 and 45 days to get a court date. During this time the inmate just waits in the jail and really has no idea. Most of the guys in this situation simply want their court date to arrive so they can plead guilty and hopefully be sentenced to "time served" and go home. I haven't really made up my mind whether or not I think that part of the system is fair or not, but nonetheless, this is how it transpires.

My soreness from working out has almost totally gone away. I think that by tomorrow I'll be able to get in a really good workout. If I'm able to keep up with this exercise routine my body will be in better looking shape than ever before in my life, which is cool.

I finished reading my first book this afternoon and have started on another one. This one is another crime drama and seems decent so far.

2/4 6pm

How is everyone doing today? I'm doing fine. The day has gone by pretty quickly. It seems to help out when I am able to sleep in until almost lunchtime, which is 11:00. By the way, regarding mail, if anyone mails me a letter, please be sure to date it and put your return address inside of the letter. When mail is delivered here, the guards open it up and just give me what is on the inside of the envelope. I don't get to see the postmark date or return address. I'm not sure what the purpose of that is. (JP, I need to get your mailing address. Thanks for writing, but I can't send anything back until I know where to send it).

Apparently the guy who has been trying to bond out since the day we both got here is finally bonding out. He has been extremely rattled, apprehensive, and basically a basket case from the moment he got here. The entire tank has been entertained by him for hours. I bet he has made 50 phone calls while in here, trying to get himself bailed out. Tonight at dinner he offered me some green beans and said I was the only person in here who had helped him. It was touching. Too bad I don't like green beans.

Well, that's about all I have for now, so I will get to writing some letters and doing a little reading.

2 comments:

  1. 4 word's come to mind. -------- **********************Double Dave's pepperoni rolls *************** Eddie C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheetos and tuna?!? What are you, some kind of Neanderthal??

    Just found your blog today, will be keeping up with it. Seems like you're doing a damn fine job of staying positive, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete